Monday, January 4, 2010

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words


Another blogger gave me pause... to consider the power of words. I've always been drawn to the written word - I admit to being a complete bibliophile. But even more... I truly adore the simple power of words, and the pictures they cause to form within my mind. I think that's part of why I like photography - it seems to capture sometimes just a single word, and at others - a complete dissertation.

So, I think that my New Year's Resolution/Goal (a couple of days late) is going to be expressing a single word each day... be it in a picture, defined by a paragraph or a lengthy essay containing both. Could be interesting...

Today's word: Uncertainty
"the outcome of the activity is unforeseeable"

2010 h0lds no definite direction, nor does the Magic 8 Ball tell us our economic health will improve. Today, duties were re-distributed from two positions that were eliminated due to budget cuts. It's been a bit scary - no one is safe, no is indispensable. Each only hopes we have something to keep us afloat for at least one more round of cuts.

I was one of the lucky ones... this time.

I'm thankful for having a "good" job, complete with benefits - and only a little resentful of the heavy, heavy workload put upon me (and many of my co-workers) trying to provide the public with the same level of service with so many less people and reduced resources.

So, my word is "uncertainty." Uncertain of my future, but ever hopeful. Ever watching. Ever hoping for for a sign of promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment